With Halloween coming, I wanted to find a fun craft that I could do with my 18 month old. I did not want to go out and buy a bunch of supplies, so I created these little spiders with what we had on hand. This tutorial shows what we did. I kept it very basic, but you can get as creative as you want.
Egg Cartons or other small containers
Paint or markers
For the body:
1. If you are using egg cartons cut them out into their individual cups. I did not have any egg cartons on hand so I used two little containers I had floating around. I simply flipped them upside down and used them as a base for our spiders
2. Get out some markers or paints and let your child decorate the spider body. We skipped this step, since we already had black containers.
For the legs:
1. Start by making small holes in the container. I made mine with a pair of scissors, just place the tip into the cardboard and twist to make a small hole.
2. Cut the pipe cleaners into equal pieces and let your child put them into the holes.
3. Last but not least add googly eyes to finish off your spiders.
My son and I both enjoyed making these little spiders. In fact he is still playing with his and is enjoying changing the spiders legs around with different colored pipe cleaners.
I hope you have fun making these with your children. I look forward to hearing about how your spiders turn out.