The numerous benefits of breast milk for mom and baby are widely known, but are there other uses for breast milk? The answer is. yes. Breast milk is nature’s liquid gold and it is not just for feeding babies and building their immune systems anymore. There are many other health benefits that moms are recently starting to discover.
Breast milk has many powerful healing properties and has been known to treat many ailments. What is great about breast milk is that it is full of immunologic agents, is sterile, and has anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties. These properties allow breast milk to be used for many things including:
1. Pink Eye/Conjunctivitis– Many breastfeeding mothers have found that breast milk is helpful to get rid of conjunctivitis. All you need to do is squirt the milk into the infected eye, or use an eye dropper. This should be done frequently until the eye is healed.
2. Diaper Rashes– Breast milk is a fantastic natural alternative to chemically based paste and creams for treating and preventing a diaper rash. Breast milk should be put on baby’s bottom and allowed to air dry.
3. Clogged Tear Ducts– There are many accounts, from mothers, where breast milk has been used to help unclog clogged tear ducts. Being sterile, breast milk has been found to be safe for clogged tear ducts.
4. Ear Infections– Breast milk is a better and safer alternative to antibiotics for treating an ear infection, there are medical professionals who agree and recommend putting a few drops of breast milk into the ear canal every few hours to clear up an ear infection.
5. Insect Bites– the antibacterial and antiseptic properties of breast milk can reduce the itching and swelling associated with insect bites and stings, while also promoting healing.
What do you use breast milk for? Do you have a favorite use for breast milk other than feeding your child?